of Voorhees Candy Rubber Molds
Invented by Walter E. Coleman and
January 25, 1887.
Voorhees Company started in 1898, by Mr. John J. Voorhees.
Voorhees manufactured the molds for Coleman from March
23, 1912 giving Coleman 10% of the net sales of candy
November 16, 1946, Voorhees purchased the entire right,
title and Patents.
The molds were made in Jersey City, N.J. (No. 20-56
Bostwick Avenue until it moved its operation to Quabaug
Rubber Company in North Brookfield, Massachusetts
In the 40's, Voorhees opened its own plant in South
Norwalk, Connecticut. They remained there until Walter
Tompkins, partner, passed away.
Mr. Earl, at that time, purchased Tompkins shares
of stock and moved the manufacturing to be done by
a Mr. Edgar D. Snyder at Northwood Plastic and Rubber
Co. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 1955, Mr. Snyder decided he didn't want to make
the molds anymore so Mr. Earl then moved his manufacturing
to Artcraft Rubber Co., in Pottstown, PA.
Mr. Lemuel B. Cropper learned the manufacturing procedure
at Artcraft from 1967 to 1970 when he moved the manufacturing
to Neward, Maryland.
The Executive offices were located in New Jersey until
around 1930 when they moved to New York.
They remained in New York until 1962 when Mr. Earl
moved them to Berlin, MD.
Lemuel B. and Joann Cropper purchased the entire company
from Mr. Earl in January, 1980 and moved the executive
offices to Newark, MD., where the entire operation
In 1995, Richard & Terry Jackson purchased the
company from Lemuel Cropper, after 5 years of working
and learning the trade.